Tarpaulin, or “Tarp”, is a large sheet of strong, flexible, water-resistant or waterproof material made with polyethene or polypropylene. Silpaulin, a widely used tarpaulin, is made from cross-laminated plastic films. Silpaulin tarps are available in various sizes and crafted with plastic life HDPE and LDPE.
Tarpaulin has applications across various industries, including temporary shelters, sports activities, constructions, transportation, and camping. Furthermore, the tarpaulin is used to shelter and protect industrial equipment and machinery from harsh weather conditions like snow, rain, storms, etc. In recent years, tarpaulin has been used to protect automobiles, industrial machines, swimming pools, food grains, cement, and other products against bad weather.
Standard Features of Silpaulin Tarpaulin
- Fire retardant
- Lightweight yet sturdy and durable
- UV stabilised
- Waterproof and water-resistant
- Protection against microbe attack
Different Types of Silpaulin Tarpaulins Used
There are various types of Silpaulin tarpaulin used as per the customer requirements. Since it is made from polyethene or polypropylene plastic, Silpaulin tarpaulin is efficient in handling moisture, is cost-efficient, and lightweight. The cross weaves provide immense strength as well as durability. Let us look at some of the most commonly used silpaulin tarpaulin sheets.
- Mesh Tarpaulin: Manufactured from vinyl or polyethene and interwoven in a screen-like pattern, mesh tarpaulin provides resistance against moisture. However, it is semi-porous, which lets light and air pass quickly.
- Canvas Tarpaulin: Made up of closely woven flax or cotton cloth canvas, the tarpaulin is heavier in weight.
- Vinyl Tarpaulins: Vinyl tarpaulins coated with polyvinyl chloride provide more reliable protection since they are waterproof, abrasion-resistant, and corrosion-resistant.
Utility of Silpaulin
Having been used for centuries, Silpaulin tarp has met the needs of Indians in various ways.
- It has many uses in the agricultural sector, ranging from drying agricultural products to covering small plants or tea leaves and keeping ponds clean.
- Whether it is used to coat rafts, terrace gardens, parking floors, cap basements or swimming pools, or line large water bodies or ponds, Silpaulin can be commonly found in the field of civil engineering.
- In addition to covering machines or other commodities, it can protect greenhouses from UV radiation, and cover pandals. The product can also provide temporary shelter to the poorest sections of society.
Things to Consider While Buying Silpaulin Tarpaulin
Since there are many types of Silpaulin tarps available in the market, which type of Silpaulin tarpaulin one should buy depends on its intended use. Check the product’s authenticity and durability before purchasing, and compare its market price.
Choosing the right Silpaulin tarp is important for optimum protection when used in warehouses and product storage facilities. Furthermore, it is critical to buy Silpaulin tarpaulin from a reputed manufacturer to ensure the highest quality and reliability of the product.
We at Shah Shivaji Valji & Co. provide highly durable, cross-laminated tarpaulins that are lightweight but extremely strong. Compared to other plastic films, these tarpaulins offer the most robust protection and durability.
Shah Shivji Valji and Company are storage and protection solution providers, as well as leading manufacturers of all types of tarpaulins. We are a dedicated group of experts who have built an identity of trustworthiness and innovation over the last 100 years of working in our industry. We provide customized solutions for various industries based on their needs and have operations throughout India.